Monday, June 10, 2013

Week 11: An Heirloom Quilt

77 unique scrap fabrics,  672 - 2 1/2" squares sewn into 42 blocks, joined together with 71 - 8 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles and 30 - 3 1/2" squares of sashing, makes this heirloom quilt complete.


The entire time I was piecing my blocks together, I imagined having a light-coloured sashing to tie all my blocks together. When I went to the fabric store with a few of my blocks, it ended up being the navy polkadots that best complemented the wild array of fabrics.


What I enjoyed the most: Normally when I quilt, I am extremely particular with how and where I place the different fabrics in the quilt for a perfect balance of colour and pattern. With this quilt, I quickly realized that strategy had no benefit! There were too many different colours and patterns that it didn't matter where they went. I liked not having to think about it as I sewed and not having to hum and ha over the perfect layout for days on end.


Next time I would... Make sure I sourced enough fabric from my Gramma! I wasn't really sure how much fabric I was going to need until long after I had visited, so I ended up adding some scraps from my own stash. But in the end, I suppose it became a quilt composed of 3 generations of fabric scraps!




2 comments:

Diana said...

Looks good Joy

Martha Silva said...

Hi thanks for poosting this

Post a Comment